Anyone else think that January just flew by? I woke up one morning and realized Valentine’s was just around the corner and I hadn’t even thought about it yet. So, I grabbed my laptop and began perusing all my favorites on Pinterest and BOOM! There it was – I found a darling little bunting that was perfect. At least I still have a week to enjoy it, but next year maybe I’ll try to get on the crafting a little earlier.
Originally made from paper and vintage book pages – I decided to create something similar but wanted it to have a little more long term staying power! Kids. Hello! So my mind went straight to fabric, which has recently become my Achilles heel. It’s like scrapbook paper that never ends!!!! Love. I see cute fabric – I buy. Eeps. And since my mother gave me a sewing machine for Christmas I don’t feel guilty about the purchases anymore. It’s terrible. =) So off to Hobby Lobby I went, grabbed some burlap and pretty red fabrics, and went right to work!
Here are the instructions!
1. Create a cardstock template to cut out your burlap. You can make it any size – I chose to do 4×5 shaped pockets. Trace onto burlap and cut. Then I just eyeballed the rounded point at the bottom – making sure they were all the same.
2. Make a cardstock heart. Trace onto little red fabrics – cut.
3. Fold top of burlap pocket over about 1/2 inch – sew. You will be creating a “real” pocket for the twine to run through to create the bunting.
4. Trace cardstock heart onto Steam-to-Seam (an iron on fabric adhesive). Peel paper off both sides and place on fabric heart. Then place heart Steam-to-Seam face down on burlap. Iron for 15 seconds.
5. Tape twine to the end of a pencil – and thread through each burlap pocket. Viola!
Now just find a sweet spot to display and you are ready! Easy peesy! It’s so simple that I had both my girls help me cut and sew and they LOVED it!!! I hope you all have a fabulous Valentines!!! I’ll be back soon with our fun little crayon Valentines!